Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Back from camp and a t-shirt upcycle

I made it back from camp in one piece....and I had a blast!  It was exhausting {I got home and felt like I'd been hit by a Mack truck for the first day or so} but what's not to love about not cooking or doing laundry & hanging out with your kids and some really great people?!  Ok...it wasn't quite as easy as that, but still, it was great and I hope to be able to go again next year!  Some of my fave pics....

saying goodbye...man, my husband looked extra-good looking that day... : )

Saylor and her bestie from school who came with us

Maggie and her bff getting ready to zipline

more ziplining

my girlies

now us moms had to show them how to really zipline. ;)

me and my girls

canoe time {we went with the kids, but they were already out on the lake}

Maggie entered the fishing contest...so proud of her in the midst of all those boys : )

went with 1 best friend...came home with a room full. :)
Before I left I made each of the girls in our cabin a bracelet in our BLUE team color. I got the idea from Pinterest...saw headbands made the same way on there, but I just made them smaller....take a peek! {sorry about the iphone pics...my camera was once again MIA}


Cut t-shirt into 1-2 inch wide strips. stack 5 of them and then hot glue or sew them at one end.

Pull on the strips until they are not flat anymore and curl up.  Start braiding but braiding the 3 on the left side like you normally would, only doing one "interval" of it.

Do the same on the right side, always starting with the outside strip.  Then go back to the left.

Tighten as you go...it should look like this.
Still going after a week at camp. :) 



I took this idea and carried it a step further...and made a scarf out of a shirt I never wore.  I've been wanting a coral/orange scarf for quite awhile now & I just never got around to buying one.  

My post-childbearing body doesn't do drapey a-line well....

I cut off strips in different sizes...some I left the seam on and other I cut so I could braid and then I just tied back up.

This may still need a little tweaking, but I LOVE how it turned out...just the color I was needing too! {Notice the iced coffee...still going strong on that one : ) }  I may regret posting a pic with no make-up on...hopefully y'all love me enough to see past it...ha! ; )
Well, after not posting for over a week, I think this may be my longest post EVER!  Hopefully it gives you some good ideas to use with those old tshirts sitting around. :)

It's great to be back and I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny Lane Designs