Friday, August 5, 2011

A river call DENIAL

So, there are some monumental things going on in our house these days.  My oldest, Maggie...yeah, she hits double digits this week.  Seems like I was just bringing her home from the hospital yesterday.  So, so proud of her and the young woman she is becoming...although, I'm not sure how ready I am for this pre-teen stage.  She got a little early birthday present today.  We've decided that 10 is the magic age of our girls to their ears pierced.  Maggie got hers done this week...ummm...can I take back this gift because I am not ready for her to look 3 years older instantly.  Actually, I am so excited for her.  She's been talking about this day for ever.
{yes, it's wal-mart...she was too excited to get them done while on vacation and this was the only place...it actually was great!}

Then, there's my one and only son.  He goes to kindergarten this year and although I'm so thankful for the 6 years I had at home with him...I'm not so sure I'm ready to cut that cord.  He really is sweet.  He's the one that hardly gets in trouble and is a constant source of hugs, kisses, and "I love you, mommy...you are the best mommy in the whole world."  Yeah, I'm going to miss that.  And you can bet that this mommy will be sobbing as I drive away from dropping him off.  I know that Addison will keep me on my toes, but the impromptu games of horse and all sorts of made up games with any type of ball will be greatly missed.
this boy is ALWAYS in a sports uniform...this one just came out of the box...he even has the mean football face to match

We've also just had one of those few months where it seemed like all 4 of them grew up.  I just want to bottle them up now so I can remember everything.  Since I haven't run across that type of canning project, I'm definitely soaking up the final days of summer with my 4...I mean seriously, how many more times will I see them going hunting for beetles all dressed up like this?

2 comments:

  1. Awwww, Shera. That is so fabulous! I bet Tag can't wait to start. He is going to miss you too. And Maggie---what a great thing for her to be able to do! All the awesome earrings you can buy her!! Hang in there!

    I hope I can do Maggie some justice this school year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Shera. This post really touched my heart, as I am feeling many--no, most--no ALL of these same feelings right now.

    I remember writing a post when Colin went off to K5 (my first son) two years ago and discussing a bit how I felt like my time with him was "over". Not that it is--I know I still have years of raising and training him--but that early, formative teaching and training is now behind us...and it's just so sad to me, you know? It feels so final.

    I know there is much to look forward to, however. It is exciting watching them grow into young men (and women)...but I don't think we as mommies will ever get over the daily losses of our 'babies' as that happens. :)

    ReplyDelete

Penny Lane Designs