Thursday, June 30, 2011

Office sneak peek & bulletin board tutorial

 I mentioned awhile back { I think it may have even been on a "what not to do" post} that one of my next projects was to redo our office.  When we first moved in, I was dead set on doing this room in what I like to call "Texas red".  It seems like everybody in Texas has an office or dining room this color, and I was on my way to being a good Texan.  : )  While I still like this color, I now know that this decision helped contribute to the dungeon feel of the house.  Here is what I'm talking about....

A couple of weeks ago I finally got around to painting it, and although I'm not ready to reveal the whole room yet, it is definitely a far cry better than the dark red.  The pool table has also been permanently moved to not only free up space, but to keep this room for it's original purpose. 

For above my desk, I wanted a bulletin board....not sure where I came up with this idea, but I love how it turned out.  I started with a $3 Goodwill Bulletin Board...it didn't have to be in perfect condition because I knew it was getting covered. 





I picked up a linen looking fabric in the remnant bin at Hobby Lobby for $3 and I used my staple gun to cover it.

Then, I picked up some gold thumb tacks at the Dollar store...I actually looked a couple of other places and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so I was thrilled to find them for $1!  I used the very exact method of a thumb's length all the way around the edges. : )


An iron helped me get out the little wrinkles you see.  I just ironed the fabric right on the board.

I love the end result...only about $7 spent and it is polished and practical for my office!  Check it out....






I'm thinking a little something like this from z. gallerie right above it would be just the look I'm wanting...maybe just a little smaller scale though.
So, what do you think of the new space...definitely not the dungeon it was, right?! ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny Lane Designs