Thursday, April 14, 2011

Chandy makeover

Does anybody else have this in their house?  It seems like almost every other house I'm in has this same "brass beauty"...when we first moved in, I knew I had to take matters into my own hands to rid our house of it.  This may have been when my love of spray paint first happened.  I came across this hammered textured spray paint {I think I just picked mine up at Wal-Mart for about $5} and I love the texture it adds to the metal.
















I just took the bulbs out and taped everything I didn't want painted.  I left it hanging up there and just put a drop cloth under me and used a piece of paper behind where I was painting to catch the rest.  And yes, my hands were black by the end. ; )

And the results....



Since this room is about to be redone this chandelier may be getting another makeover {maybe gray??}, but for right now, I'm loving the tranformation that just a can of spray paint  {yet again} has did not only to this light fixture, but the entire room.

This is one of those ideas that could be used in so many different ways and if you don't have a "brass beauty", they are on Craig's List and at yard sales all the time.  It would be cute painted white or light pink with some crystals hung from it for a girl's room.  Or you could even do a fun color to add a splash of color and whimsy to any room.  A black one would also look great in a teen's room with some black/white zebra print or with a bold brocade print.

Anybody else have one of these "brass beauties" they need a quick fix for?

1 comment:

  1. I have a brass beauty. I also already bought the hammered paint. I'm ready for it to look as good as yours!!! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Penny Lane Designs