How have do I try and live this while decorating? (And I do fail often so I'm not claiming to have this down yet...that's why I need the reminder!)
- Re-purpose what I already have...I have taken a can of black/white/silver spray paint to a ridiculous amount of surfaces in this house. Whether it's to touch up or to create a new look, this is a great way to change it up for almost free.
|This beveled mirror that came with our house was a gaudy gold...much better now!|
- Shop thrift stores, garage sales, etc. Keep an open mind....some of my "ugliest" finds have become some of my most-complimented items with a little touch-ups. Also, with clothes, especially for kids, you can have them looking great on the smallest of budgets!
- Think outside the box. For example, I needed to revamp my kids homework and project center. I decided to take my old silverware caddy that has not gotten much use at this house and organize it all probably better than any product I could have bought.
|This caddy works so much better than trying to keep all these in their boxes|
- Shop your house...when focusing on one room, instead of making a list and heading to the store for your accessories, look what items can be better used in the room you are working on.
- Check the clearance racks first in every store you go in...whether it's Target, Ikea, Pottery Barn, or wherever you are...you may find exactly what you need for a fraction of the price, just by finding the clearance bin....and remember KEEP YOUR MIND OPEN! : )
|Pottery Barn luminaries, $29.00 down to $1.97|
I'd love to hear your ideas...I know there are some thrifty and creative minds out there!