Monday, March 21, 2011

Back to a new reality



We are just coming off of Spring Break here...an unbelievably relaxing break in the mountains of Colorado.  On the drive home, I was completely dreading getting back into the insanity that life with 4 kids and all the craziness it brings...don't get me wrong, I'm so thankful for this life, but it can also make this momma tired!  I began to wonder how I could incorporate some of the slowness of mountain life into our busy city life.  Here are some things I am going to incorporate into our home to make this place a better place for all 6 of us.


pic courtesy of The Nester {kinda looks like my post-vaca house}
  • We never did much for Lent growing up, but I love this idea that Sara from August Fields  is doing...taking 40 garbage bags and taking an area of the house each and filling one up.  Less stuff to mess with and clean and launder, etc....the more time to focus on what is important...especially during this Easter season.  {It is quite disturbing that you can fill up multiple garbage bags and hardly notice, isn't it??}. This might become a year-round thing.
  • One of my favorite blogs, The Nester, has been proclaiming this for years..."It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful."  This cuts deep for me.  I'm not a perfectionist, BUT how many times have I been hard to live with because I wanted something done the "right" way.  I haven't perfect this approach yet, but I'm trying.  This is probably the main reason that it took so long to do so many things around our house....fear of not making it perfect.  When I finally take that step, it may not be perfect, but I am so thankful I went for it and helped our home be more comfortable for our family.  It's also so easy to think that so many other people have the perfect home or family or fill-in-the-blank.  The reality is that no one's life is perfect {no matter how great someone's may seem on the outside} and when we are so focused on reaching perfection or even other's "perfection", we lose sight of our own blessings right in front of us.
  • Maybe I'm the only one slacking in this area...that's all right, I think I'm airing all my dirty laundry today. : )  Eating/drinking right.  My husband is a Phys Ed teacher and former personal trainer...need I say more??  I like to eat healthy, but I get so caught up in busyness that I many times forget to eat or I grab a quick bite through a drive-thru.  That was no problem...until life caught up with me.  I was dragging my feet so badly by the end of the day.  The problem is no food/bad food = no energy.  I need energy...to be the wife and mom I want and need to be!
  • Make time for quality time.  On vacation it is so easy to spend time with each other and then when you get home there is homework to be done and practices to go to and a million things in between.  I made time to take a walk with my younger two today and I made time for the older two to paint their nails.  I'm going to make time for more quality time...I loved it and I don't ever want to miss out because of my busyness.
Me and my baby girl...and yes that is shorts, leggings and pink cowboy boots ; )

Ok, so maybe I'm the only one out there who struggles with any of this. Right now though, I'm am so thankful for the reminder I had this past week to find ways to slow our life down and enjoy my family and home as much as I can.  How do you keep your busy life from getting the best of you?  I'd love to hear!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Shera! Love it and I am right there with you:):) We built a fort in the family room yesterday and Jackson had a better attitude all day from one simple thing! hope to see you this summer. Jana

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very right about looking at other people's lives and thinking they're perfect. I think facebook makes this especially hard. Most people mention the fun, exciting things that happen, but that's probably not the norm. When I read too many statuses like this in one day, I can get discontented pretty easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! We love forts...haven't made one in a while...oh I take that back, the girls made one out of the canopy of their bed while they were supposed to be cleaning. : ) I'm hoping we make it too...we are doing our best! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure how you collect your thoughts enough to put them all in succinct writing ( : but I'm glad someone can. ( : Thank you for the encouragement. I def need to worry less about perfection and just DO something around here!

    ReplyDelete

Penny Lane Designs